2

The world lost a hero.....

Posted by Emily Steiger on 11/17/2008 02:53:00 PM

Saturday morning a good friend's husband passed away. He was a hero in my eyes and I am sure many others. He was a Detroit Firefighter, and he and his family always held a special place in my heart. I met him through his wife Syri at SFFC while I was a case manager. I remember the first day I met Syri. She didn't do much talking because she was swamped with work, but I knew we would become great friends.


Syri and I shared an office for a long time and really enjoyed it because we were able to talk, and gossip and joke with each other during our stressful work days. I always enjoyed her company! Walt came to visit her one day. I saw this huge man walking towards me in a leather biker vest and thought, this can't be Syri's husband...no way!


But it was...His name was Walt Harris and he was one of the kindest men I had ever met. Walt and Syri have 6 children, ranging from grown adults to toddlers and are also grandparents, even though they are only in their mid 30's. I loved this family... not only were they happy, but they loved each other!! They were a close family and accepting of everyone. I always thought they were the ideal family...and they were perfect! They went to church together, they ate together, they hung out together. They enjoyed each other's company.



I remember the first time my husband met him. It was at our wedding and they came after dinner because Walt had to marry a couple that afternoon. I introduced Scott to Walt, since he had already met Syri numerous times. I remember him giving Walt a big huge and thanking him so much for coming to our wedding. They talked for a while and Scott told me what a nice man he thought Walt was.


I have a few favorite memories of Walt. Seeing him walk into my work with his biker vest is one. I also love to remember a party we had at the water park where he helped out my work by cooking food for our foster kids! And then my favorite. He and Syri had taken dance lessons years ago and at my wedding they decided to try out their moves. Right in the middle of the dance floor there they are bickering about who was doing it wrong...laughing the whole time but just couldn't get the footwork down! I have pictures of them dancing and looking so incredibly happy and in love! Those pictures will be forever burned in my memory.

Walt was a minister, a firefighter, a husband, a grandfather, a mentor, an avid biker, the fire station cook, and an all around good man. I can not imagine the pain and heartbreak my friend and her family are going through. It breaks my heart that such a nice man was taken from his family. But God always has a reason and Walt was needed for bigger and better things.


So today, please take a minute and think about all of your family and friends who are no longer with us, and take a moment of silence for my friend, Walt Harris. He will be missed by many! I will miss you Walt, but I know I will see you again someday.

|

2 Comments


Loss is always hard. Keep your thoughts positive so the vibes that flow will be good ones.


My grandfather was the Fire Station cook as well...I knew there was a reason I liked him.

Copyright © 2009 Bloggings of a Father All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.